Find Your Happy Place

The wind rushes through my hair and I look over and see Annabelle’s dimples dig deep into her cheeks. Smiling from ear to ear at her Daddy, her curls fly back as we drive together down to Butterfly Field. Brecken sits between Jeremy and I. He is starting to look so tall and grown up. Our time together on dirt roads in our side-by-side four wheeler are truly the most special times in my life right now. I’m sure some people wouldn’t understand the appeal, but to me, there is nowhere else I would rather be.

We purchased our side-by-side a month after moving to our Acreage of Grace and it was the best decision for our family (this is not an ad haha). I think I love it more than anyone in my family. I just love being able to smell the fresh air and watch the sunset. I love that the wind is so loud that the kids just sit back and watch God’s creation around them. Nobody is asking me to get them more milk or find them a toy. I’m not worried about cleaning the kitchen or folding the laundry. I’m focused on the outdoors and the smells and sounds of nature, and I truly feel in those moments that I am right where God intends me to be.

I have spent a lot of time in my life trying to figure out what in the world I am supposed to be doing here. I changed my major three times in college and went to three different colleges before finally deciding what I “wanted to be when I grew up”. I have a Journalism degree that I worked HARD for. I busted my buns in non-paid internships to impress people to try to land my dream job. I landed my dream job only to walk away from it a year later because I missed home. And after years of wondering if I messed up big time, driving down these dirt roads of home, I know I made the right decision to move back.

Some people may think that I make rash decisions or don’t think things through, but for me, I just really trust my gut feeling. I believe that God has given me a sense of direction and no matter how much I could possibly screw that up, I believe that He is leading me home.

Where is your happy place? Where do you feel most at home? Do more of that. Go there. Spend time with those people. Smell those smells. Taste those tastes. Dream those dreams. We have one life. We might as well live it well!

Like what you see? Share with your friends!Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Comments

1. Ludavia says:

I follow my gut too! Maybe people think I’m weird when I change my mind. But, I have to follow what God is telling me to do. Such a great post, Abigail!

1. acreageofgrace@gmail.com says:

Thanks so much for reading Lu! I agree, I feel like intuition and following my gut and heart have never done me wrong!

2. Alysha Linder says:

This post made me tear up! I am so glad that you have found happiness at your acreage of grace! Although the craziness of life can cause us all to be stressed, it’s inspiring to me how you explain your happy place! And it’s amazing to sit and think about not taking things for granted. God is good all the time! So happy for you…

1. acreageofgrace@gmail.com says:

Thanks so much for reading Sid! Yes life can be crazy, but I was trying to think of where I am truly happiest and it is out on that wild cat. I think Silas liked it too!

1. Jami says:

This is the most beautiful post! I am so proud of your faith and the fact that you listen to God and are willing to follow Him! He indeed has a plan and it is so true that through it all.. the good times and the rough times… God is good ALL the time!
        Beautiful writing🌹🌹🌹

1. acreageofgrace@gmail.com says:

Thank you very much for reading! Yes I was raised well 🙂

3. If life has taught me anything, it is that pure joy comes from things that money and influence can’t buy! Good for you for being a genuine and inspirational person!

1. acreageofgrace@gmail.com says:

Thank you so much for reading Leigh! And yes those are very true words!

4. Jami says:

Beautiful writing🌹🌹🌹

5. Phyllis Douglas says:

Abigail, I think this is one of the best posts you have done. I am so happy you have found your “happy place” and I know it makes your family satisfied too! You are an outstanding young lady, mother, wife, daughter, sister and granddaughter! I pray you can keep guiding us to the “happy place” in each of our lives! I love you!

1. acreageofgrace@gmail.com says:

Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate your support and your kind words!

6. Mary Leigh says:

These photos are beautiful! I’m glad that you’ve found a happy place! It is so wonderful to feel at rest in a place. It’s good not only for us, but those around us as well!

1. acreageofgrace@gmail.com says:

Yes I totally agree! I think my kids feel at peace here too and really enjoy where we live!

7. Kailah Lake says:

This is so inspiring to me! I am renting because we just don’t know where we want our family. Beautiful writing! Can’t wait to see more 🙂

1. acreageofgrace@gmail.com says:

Thank you! I so appreciate you reading!

8. Jami says:

I truly love this story and the pictures are incredible. You are so talented!